Monday, February 26, 2007

Yes that is ice and yes those are my legs


So with the good that triathlon brings there is also the bad, that no one really tells you before you start down this crazy road and get addicted. One of those things is how your legs will feel like you have beat them with a baseball bat after a long run. However to counteract this feeling painful feeling in the legs there are a few things that you can do to make them recover faster. If god had been nice he would have made chocolate or beer be the recovery method of choice but that is just wishful thinking. Being the sadistic person that god is to recover faster you can sit in a tub put in the coldest water you can handle and then dump 2 bags of ice into the tub. Does it work? Better then you could imagine. Is it fun? Not even close. You have to sit in the tub full of ice for around 15 min, or just before hypothermia kicks in and then some how muster up the strength to get your frozen body out of the tub.

So if it is so bad to sit in a cold tub why don't I just deal with the painful legs? Well becuase in training for Ironman there is no such thing as a day off. So the next day I need those legs to be somewhat useful so they can take more punishment in the hopes that they get a little stronger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the weight loss James. I know it's not easy to do and I've been trying hard too. I went from 250 to 220 and seem to be stuck there. My body has changed shape since reaching 220 though. Maybe I should take pics of myself "ala James" to remind myself how much progress has taken place. Anyways, good job and keep up the great effort.
Cheers
R

Anonymous said...

Good post.